<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6325373\x26blogName\x3d*~Dreamers+Like+Me~*\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://dreamerslikeme.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://dreamerslikeme.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-3172628794717080644', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Friday, February 11, 2005

Upgrading the stone

What can I say, I'm a lover of things that sparkle. This does not mean I wear a lot of jewelry, (or anything other than my wedding set) it simply means that things which have sparkle, catch my eye.

When Aaron proposed to me, we had no money (not really different from now) and we were renting a bedroom at a house we were never at, if only to sleep. When presented with my engagement ring, the first thing I noticed was how sparkly and perfect it was. Aaron and I had looked at rings, but not this set, and I marveled at how well he picked one out that was completely "me".

I remember being at lunch the next day looking at my ring shining in the autumn sunlight and thinking so many happy wonderful thoughts. I called Aaron and left him a voicemail to tell him how happy I was.

It wasn't until one day at a grocery store where we ran into a friend of mine that I ever once thought about the size of my diamond. When my friend saw us, the first thing out of her mouth was "Let me see the ring." You could almost hear her snicker when she looked at mine and then didn't say anything. Then she looked at her huge diamond and I'm sure she was almost thankful that she gained arm muscle trying to carry that thing around. I never said anything, but it kind of broke my heart.

I have very small hands, they rival my 8 year old sister's hands. In all honesty, a huge diamond would just swallow my hand up. Not the look I would go for. Not to mention I am hard on my jewelry and I would not forgive myself if I ever knocked it out of its setting and lost it. We all know I haven't forgiven myself for losing the necklace I wore on my wedding day.

Lately I've been thinking and mentioning to Aaron that maybe for our 5th wedding anniversary, that we would upgrade my ring. He said that was fine and we never really said too much about it since. I never gave a second thought to the fact that that might hurt his feelings.

I succumbed. I fell for the pressure of wanting "bigger". Today I had a revelation, and I've decided that I don't ever want to change my wedding set for anything. For one, It's something my husband picked out specifically for me, and two, It reminds me of where we were in our lives at the time and how far we've come. To some people, their rings are all about showing off. And so is mine, except theirs shows off something material, and mine shows off our love. And that's fine, because I'm a firm believer that the size of the ring is not in direct correlation with the amount of love in the relationship.

Not to mention mine was paid for a long time ago and they'll be paying on theirs for years to come. :)

Happy Friday!!

10 Comments:

  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger Lizard Queen said…

    I couldn't agree with you more! I've been engaged 3 times, yet to be married...and it's never been the size of the stone that mattered to me...it's the meaning behind it. None of the engagements worked out but if they had...I'm sure I'd forever keep the original ring. :)

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger Jenniy said…

    I agree! A lot of women I've talked to have always told me it doesn't matter what the engagement ring looks like, you can always change it later. But I wouldn't want to! I've told Scott a million times that the size of the diamond doesn't matter, all that does is that he picks out something that he truly thinks I'd love. And after seeing prices of diamonds, I say money is better spent in other ways anyway.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger Suzanne said…

    I would rather have your sparkly sentimental ring any day over one that was only meant to show off! I feel sorry for her because she doesn't know what she's missing...and that's true happiness in love.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    People who are focused on the size of the diamond are missing the point!

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Thumper said…

    Good for you! Rings are just a symbol, and bigger doesn't mean better...you'd think someone older than 12 would get that.

    Now, if we were talking cars, specifically convertibles, of course shinier and more expensive is better... ;)

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger lainb said…

    I'm with you on that! Not that I've ever been engaged/married, or had a diamond ring for tha matter. But, I just prefer more simple stuff. A wedding ring is a symbol of your bond with your husband...not a "show-and-tell" piece. And, you're right, your friend will probably still be paying for her ring when she 70!

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Shannin said…

    I love my engagement ring and wedding bands. My guess is that if we ever had the money, I'd pick an anniversary band with diamonds rather than re-setting my stone.

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    Happy Valentine's Day to you and Aaron!

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger kb said…

    Very wise of you to find that out now. Don't you ever be embarrassed by your ring. I don't understand why people spend several thousand dollars on such a tiny little thing.

    I personally wear a big gold band most days with no glimmer at all.

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger bek said…

    you are so right about that - luke and i just celebrated our sixth anniversary and had my diamond reset in white gold. while the salesman was all trying to push the biggest diamonds he could find, i was PERFECTLY content resetting MINE - the one that luke picked out for me years ago. if you want even MORE sparkle, do as shannin said and get the diamond band -- i love mine and i STILL have my original diamond also.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home